Oregon Non-Residents

Oregon will issue permits to residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada. A resident from these states can go to an Oregon sheriff to apply. Note that not all Oregon sheriffs participate in the non-resident permiting process. Before you drive to drop off your application in person, we suggest you check the sheriff's website or call ahead using this list of Oregon Sheriffs by County.

Steps to Your Oregon Non-Resident CCW Permit

1.  Demonstrate firearm competence through a certificate or an affidavit from a certified instructor.  AFT's class, Introduction to Pistol Safety fills this requirement.

2.  Fill out the Oregon Concealed Carry Application for the county in which you are applying, this will be provided by the sheriff.

3.  Submit both of these documents to the sheriff, along with $65 total for the sheriff's department and the Oregon State Police.

You will be finger printed and your photograph will be taken for your license.  Turn around times can vary.  Your permit will be good for 4 years.

For additional information, check out the Oregon Permit Website.

Requirements for Oregon Non-Resident Permit

1. Citizen of the United States; or Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license

2. 21 or older.

3. Not a convicted felon.

4. Not convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor.

5. No outstanding warrants for your arrest or free on any form of pretrial release.

6. Demonstrates competence with a handgun per ORS 166.291(f).

This final requirement can be met through taking our course Introduction to Pistol Safety.  

If you have questions about our course, feel free to email us at info@shootsafe.org.  Make sure you include your name, the state whose permit you are pursuing, and if you need a call back, a phone number.  We're happy to help.