Non-Resident Kansas License

The laws governing the legal use, storage and carrying of firearms are constantly changing. Below are the applicable laws in the State of Kansas as of4/05/2013. The below information is designed to be a guide and not the final word. If you have specific questions, please refer to the State of Kansas legislation at Another great resource is offices of the Attorney General for the State of Kansas.

Effective July 1, 2010, dependents of active duty military personnel residing in Kansas are eligible to apply for a Kansas concealed carry handgun license (CCHL). This change is an extension of the courtesy afforded active duty military personnel in 2009. While active duty military personnel and their dependents must attach a copy of their non-resident driver's license or state-issued ID card to their application, they do not have to surrender their non-resident driver's license to Kansas. The six-month residency requirement has been repealed and affected persons will be eligible to apply as soon as they establish a residence in Kansas.

The CCHL application has been revised to allow active duty military with non-resident driver's licenses or ID cards to provide that information on the form, along with their military ID number.

Active duty military personnel and their dependents applying for a Kansas CCHL must complete the required 8-hour training class, pay the fees and submit their application through the Sheriff in the county where they reside. Persons moving to Kansas after July 1, 2010, may qualify for an exemption from the Kansas training class if they have a valid concealed carry license from a jurisdiction recognized by the State of Kansas.

Note: Active duty military personnel and their dependents may continue to carry concealed handguns in Kansas if:

  • they have an unexpired concealed carry license issued by a jurisdiction that is recognized in Kansas; and
  • they maintain their non-resident (non-Kansas) driver's license or personal identification card.

The out-of-state CCHL is valid in Kansas so long as the license is considered valid by the issuing state. Military personnel with Kansas driver's licenses must acquire a Kansas CCHL in order to lawfully carry a concealed handgun in Kansas.


75-7c03. License to carry concealed firearm;
(d) A person who establishes residency in this state may carry concealed handguns under the terms of this act until the person’s application for a license under this act is approved or denied, provided that the person has been issued and possesses a valid license or permit to carry a firearm from a jurisdiction recognized by the attorney general under subsection (c) and carries with that license or permit a receipt issued by the attorney general, which states that the person’s application for licensure under this act has been received. For purposes of such application, possession of the valid nonresident license or permit to carry a firearm shall satisfy the requirements of subsection (b)(2) of K.S.A. 2011 Supp. 75-7c04, and amendments thereto.

If you have questions about our course, feel free to email us at  Make sure you include your name, the state whose permit you are pursuing, and if you need a call back, a phone number.  We're happy to help.